Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Don't be alarmed. This isn't racial.


Marilyn Davenport -- a white woman, an Orange County (CA) Republican party official and apparent dumb ass -- last Thursday emailed that picture to her GOP colleagues and Tea Party members in her county. The body of the email read: "Now you know why no birth certificate." 

As you can imagine, she's currently in a whole heap of trouble. A slew of people are calling for her to step down. These people include the chairman of her own party. In a statement released today by email, Davenport apologized if her email offended anyone, but remained defiant.
I simply found it amusing regarding the character of Obama and all the questions surrounding his origin of birth," Davenport wrote. "In no way did I even consider the fact he's half black when I sent out the email. In fact, the thought never entered my mind until one or two other people [Scott Baugh, Orange County GOP boss, and this writer] tried to make this about race. . . . I received plenty of emails about George Bush that I didn't particularly like yet there was no 'cry' in the media about them. [snip] That being said, I will NOT resign my central committee position over this matter that the average person knows and agrees is much to do about nothing."  

**inserts several blank stares here**

When reached by telephone for additional comment, Ms. Davenport said EXACTLY what I'd expect a white person in this predicament to say: "I have friends who are black."

Oh. and in case you're keeping score, this isn't the first time an Orange County Republican has sent an off color and blatantly racial email regarding President Obama. In 2008 Ms. Davenport actually defended this photograph a local mayor sent via email depicting a watermelon patch in front of the White House. It's ok, though. He likely has Black friends, too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...